Flying Free

Flying Free

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Growing Up

Music lost a great composer yesterday; but his songs and voice will live on forever.  I remember as a young girl hanging out at my boyfriend's house listening to John Prine on the stereo.  He had a raspy voice and spoke of social injustices and the injustices of war.  My friends would listen to him over and over in an attempt to memorize every thought he had.  Along with Prine, my friends and I listened to Dylan and the Beatles just to name a couple.  Most of our days were consumed with listening to music and it something we all enjoyed doing.  We'd discuss the various styles and influences almost as if we were being paid to do so; almost as if we had the inside edge on all the stories.  Now, John Prine is dead along with 50% of the Beatles and life has changed drastically.  We are no longer 18-year old children, we are adults struggling for the legal tender like the rest of America.  Some of us are married and some of us are divorced or widowed. Some of us have children and grandchildren. 

One of the things we are universally facing is Covid-19.  The virus has captured and quarantined all of us.  We are no longer the social creatures we are meant to be.  The Covid-19 virus has turned my general personality into an anxious, scared person.  I don't like the person I am becoming.  Last night increased my anxiety because I tried to buy groceries online and was unable to do so because they had no slots and none were available in the future.  I panicked.  I freaked because once again my independence had been taken away.  What was I to do?  For a moment I couldn't think and then I realized I had other resources that I just needed to utilize.  How long can I utilize other people before they get sick?  How will I feel then?  

I mentioned that I'm scared of this virus - and I am.  I know that there are those out there that will tell me I'm afraid because I don't have enough trust in God.  I have complete faith in God, I believe that this virus will do exactly as God will have it do; but in the meantime, I can do things to protect myself, I don't have to wait for God to put a shield around me, I can build one myself by staying at home, as hard as that is. 

Gone are the days that we just hung out and listened to music trying to figure life out; now we are the adults that are trying to figure out a national disaster.  God help us all.

2 comments:

  1. We are all scared. Sadly! But I cling to hope, to life, to love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst will be over in the next few weeks. Maybe we won't have our normal food or routine but we can be creative and do something different. Even eat something different. When I was a young wife and had to make meals with no money I use to play a game with myself. I would see how long I could go without grocery shopping. I would use the pantry items and make all sorts of new recipes. Mostly with success. I was surprised how far those items would go. These are strange times but we will make it through and be stronger for it.

    ReplyDelete